Question: Beyond resources available through my health insurance or from a treating physician, what resources are available to support my physical health and wellness as a UCLA postdoctoral scholar?
Answer: This is a great question! I am happy to share that there is a wide variety of health, fitness, and recreational programming available to postdocs. Below, you will find information about these programs and services that continue to operate virtually to support the UCLA community (including postdocs!) in the areas of fitness and exercise, nutrition, stress management, and general health education.
- FitZones for Staff and Faculty: Free drop-in virtual fitness classes offered several times a day on Facebook Live and Instagram Live. Enjoy classes like yoga, dance cardio and conditioning, total bodyweight workout, and more!
- Bruin Mindfit for Staff and Faculty: A free 4-week mindful movement and meditation course that teaches several effective stress management tools. Participants practice mediation, breathing, basic yoga movement, relaxation, walking, and everyday mindfulness.
- MoveMail: If you need a reminder to move throughout the day, subscribe to MoveMail! Subscribers receive daily emails at 10am and 2pm providing instructional videos and movement breaks you can do anywhere.
- UCLA Teaching Kitchen: The Teaching Kitchen was developed as an educational, interactive space to meet the needs of the campus community in areas of nutrition, food insecurity, culinary skills, and community engagement. The Teaching Kitchen offers weekly live virtual cooking and baking workshops, recipes, skills and tips, and more!
- Diabetes Prevention Program: UCLA DPP provides education, encouragement, and the tools necessary to help individuals reach their health goals. The CDC approved curriculum includes basic information on nutrition, ways to increase physical activity, stress management techniques, and ideas to stay motivated. See link for eligibility criteria.
- Personal Training and Nutrition Counseling: Virtual personal training as well as private nutritional counseling is available to support your personal goals. Note: these are fee-based services.
- Bruin Health Improvement Program: A 10 week long physical and mindfulness program designed to educate, motivate, and provide UCLA faculty and staff with an opportunity to improve their overall health and fitness.
- Healthy Campus Initiative Center: Even more information and resources for health and wellbeing resources.
This column features questions that postdocs have asked the Graduate Division Case Managers. To connect with a Case Manager, please send an email to email@example.com.